Week ❶

by 5:19 AM 0 comments
Hi guys! This is a blog created to share my internship journey as a polytechnic student attachment. As part of my diploma course in SP, I was posted to United BMEC for my internship. United BMEC is a company that deals with trading as it's main nature of business. With many imports coming in to it's Singapore office located at 2 Kim Chuan Drive, it has definitely made my internship journey a busy and meaningful one! In just one week, I got to admit that I have learnt quite a bit from the finance department and I'm going to share it with you'll here! :)

Well before that, let's talk about what transpired before internship started. I was feeling rather gloomy and pessimistic about it. Holidays were coming to an end and here comes the 1 hour bus rides to and fro work everyday. :( I headed to the office early on the first day, wanting to leave a good first impression in terms of punctuality. However, to my surprise, i was the earliest to reach with just being 15 minutes early! The doors to the company was not open and i had to stand there for another 15 minutes! Not a very good way to start off internship i guess. Thereafter, I was introduced to the finance department and that was where it all started! :)

The first day was rather mundane and dry. I was instructed by my supervisor, Joanne, to enter the data for October's sales invoice which included invoice numbers and delivery order numbers. I felt that doing data entry was more of a no brainer and I wasn't learning much at all. However, after lunch, Joanne had to leave as she took a 4.5 days leave. From then on, I was told to listen to Felicia, another accounting staff. She introduced me to their accounting software called the SAP business one. I started to feel challenged with an overwhelming amount of instructions and steps on how to do certain tasks. These tasks included making sales quotations, tax invoices, delivery orders, outgoing payments, goods received notes, online transactions, etc. Below are pictures of a blank tax invoice and delivery order of United BMEC.

A Blank Delivery Order Form
A Blank Tax Invoice Form
I felt that I would definitely forget the steps and thus, I wrote it down on paper as she went through each procedure. Thereafter, I was immediately told to create several invoices and delivery order for printing. I began to enjoy the workload as i was given a rather heavy responsibility. The next few days was filled with many important tasks. Some important tasks included: adjusting the cash position of the company in Excel, issuing of staff claims, GIRO payment voucher, issuing of cheques to staffs, updating of bills (Singtel, Rental, Utilities, Carriage outward) into SAP, etc.

I felt that the first week of internship wasn't as bad as i thought. I am beginning to get used to the working life there and I look forward to more learning experiences and chances next week! :)




0 comments:

Post a Comment